Paris left bank map helps you locate the top sights in this parisian and romantic district: the Seine river, Luxembourg Gardens, Saint Germain des Pres, Le Pantheon, Musee d'Orsay, Rue de Sevres, Mouffetard market. Check Left Bank Paris walking tour. The left bank is also the traditionnal student district around the Sorbonne university. Thematic Paris maps.
It can be said that the Saint Germain des Pres district is the beating heart of the left bank and one of the most parisians districts in town. Dominated by the tower of the very old and prestigious Saint Germain des Pres Church, Saint Germain des Pres has long been famous as the intellectual district of Paris with the likes of Jean-Paul Sartre and Boris Vian being regulars in cafes and night-clubs. Many visitors have a drink at Cafe de Flore or Deux Magots, the two most famous literary Cafes in Paris. It is too a top shopping area. The Saint Germain des Pres district around rue de Sevres, rue du Four, boulevard Saint Germain, rue Bonaparte has many French fashion stores, including Hermes (17, rue de Sevres), one of the most spectacular fashion stores in town.
At walking distance from Saint Germain des Pres, the Luxembourg Gardens are certainly the preferred gardens of parisians. Spread with statues, fountains and flowers, they are the most romantic gardens in Paris. They are crowded on sunny days. North of Luxembourg Gardens, the area around Saint Sulpice church is quite lovely. Since 1799, the Luxembourg Palace houses the Senate, one of the two chambers of the French Paliament with the National Assembly. Members of the two Houses are chosen by different electoral systems. The 348 senators are assisted by specialised civil servants and parliamentary aides. 2000 people work for the Senate. The Speaker of the Senate ensures the stability of France’s institutions. He is called upon to replace the President of the Republic in the event of his death or resignation. The Palace cannot be visited.
Le Pantheon is certainly the most famous monument on the left bank. It was built in the 18th century as a church dedicated to Saint Genevieve, the patron saint of the city. It was turned into a memorial place during the French revolution. The inscription above the entrance reads “To great men, the grateful homeland”. The large crypt accommodates the vaults of great French public figures, including Voltaire, Rousseau, Victor Hugo, Émile Zola, Jean Moulin, Louis Braille, Jean Jaures and Soufflot, its architect.
French King Louis XV vowed in 1744 that if he recovered from his illness he would replace the ruined church of the Abbey of Saint Genevieve with a monument worthy of the patron saint of Paris. The king regained his health. Architect Jacques-Germain Soufflot was chosen and the construction began in 1758. Due to financial problems, work proceeded slowly. The church was finally completed in 1790, during the early stages of the French Revolution.
Hotel Delavigne is just 250 m from Odeon Metro station and 650 m from the Luxembourg Gardens. It offers soundproofed accommodation with free Wi-Fi. Each room mixes contemporary decor with antique furniture and has a flat-screen TV. Individual private bathrooms are equipped with a bathtub or shower. The rooms on the upper floors offer views over the rooftops of central Paris.