The 1937 Palais de Chaillot, also named Trocadero, crowns the Chaillot hill facing the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
The view on the Eiffel Tower from Palais de Chaillot is rightly famous. Palais de Chaillot hosts two world class museums. The walk from Palais de Chaillot to Eiffel Tower across the River is a great Paris walking tour.
Palais de Chaillot is worth a visit for its museums.
Replacing a first Trocadero Palace dating from 1878, the Palais de Chaillot was built in 1937 by architects Carlu, Boileau and Azema. It was one of the highlights of the 1937 Paris International Exhibition.
This World Exhibition, the last in Paris, saw the spectacular confrontation of the USSR and Nazi Germany, two years before World War One.
The Palais de Chaillot and Paris Modern Art Museum are the main legacies of Paris 1937 exhibition.
Palais de Chaillot became the first UN headquarters in 1946. It remained so until 1951. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted in Palais de Chaillot by the UN General Assembly on December 10th 1948.
Eleanor Roosevelt, widow of American President Roosevelt, chaired the declaration drafting committee. With her were Rene Cassin of France, who composed the first draft, the Rapporteur Charles Malik of Lebanon, Vice-Chairman Peng Chung Chang of China, John Humphrey of Canada.
Palais de Chaillot
1, place du Trocadero Paris 75116
Locate Palais de Chaillot on Paris map.
More top Paris monuments.