Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal attracts two million pilgrims each year to Paris. Over two billion medals were made.
On July 18th 1830, the Holy Virgin appeared to Catherine Laboure in the Chapel of our Lady of the Miraculous Medal (Chapelle de la Rue du Bac). The Chapel of the Miraculous Medal was part of the convent of the Daughters of Charity. Catherine Laboure was a seminary sister (novice) there.
On November 28th 1830, the Holy Virgin entrusted Catherine with the medal. When Catherine died in 1876, two billion medals had already been made.
Two million pilgrims visit the chapel every year, making it the second pilgrimage in France after Lourdes. Fervent catholic services are held everyday.
Chapelle Notre-Dame de la Medaille Miraculeuse
140 rue du Bac 75340 Paris cedex 07
Top Paris monuments.
Top Paris churches
Today, the 20 000 Daughters of Charity are faithful to their vocation, serving poor people in 91 countries with humility, simplicity and charity. Web site